Health Ministries is not only about assisting our members with living healthier, happier lives; it is also about reaching out to the surrounding community.
From demonstrating healthy principles at our Sabbath potluck to offering seminars on smoking cessation and stress free living we want to provide lots of ways for people to lead healthy and happy lives.
Coming soon there will be a Stop Smoking program open to the community. Look for more information in the next couple of months.
If you are concerned about your diet and want to make some serious changes, here are some ways to succeed in eating better.
- Think Simple. Don't try fancy or crazy dishes that promise instant weight loss. Keep it simple. Think about the color of your food. Dark vegetables are healthier than white or light colored veggies. Eat a variety of Fresh foods. Salads can be hot or cold. By adding lean protein you have a complete meal. Some good lean proteins include, black beans, quinoa, white meat chicken, oatmeal, and soy. Also replace your butter with nut butter. Cook in Olive oil instead of solid shortening or butter.
- Don't try to change everything all at once. A gradual change will help insure success. If you try to rid yourself of too many things at one time, you will end up benging on unhealthy foods or giving up completely. let your new foods become a habit. Learn to love eating a small salad, filled with several different vegetables, with your meal.
- Think about how your food makes you feel. Junk food will leave you feeling uncomfortable, nauseous, or drained of energy. Healthy foods will give you more energy and help you have mental focus.
- Don't expect all the changes to work for you. Don't stop just because a certain recipe doesn't taste the way you want it to. Keep trying new things until you find a list of healthy meals that work for you and your family.
As your taste buds begin to change, you will find satisfaction in a healthy diet. Don't forget to drink plenty of wather throughout the day.
Get up and get out!
Often we sit in our livingrooms thinking about exercising. Just thinking about it is only the very first step. you actually do have to get up off that couch and move. Many people try to get started too fast. they want to go to an expensive gym and use all the machines available. But then they find themselves looking for reasons not to go. I say, start small. a little movement is better than no movement. You can start at home with little or no equipment. there are several workout videos on the internet that are free to watch. I suggest you find one for beginners and, well... begin.Walking at the local park is a great way of getting those muscles going. But don't start out trying to walk a 5K. Build yourself up. I've heard people talk about that "workout high" they get when they have had a good workout. I used to think they were crazy. But I kept on trying and guess what. I actually felt it. It takes time and commitment but it is doable. If you miss a day, don't quit, there's always tomorrow to start again. Remember this, the more often you move, the better you will feel.
Tips for getting started:
- Make sure you have well fitting shoes. if your feet hurt you won't want to do it.
- Drink plenty of water. If you don't like the taste of water, add a few drops of lemon juice to the bottle. Remember, the more water you drink, the better you will like it.
- Take it slow at first. Set your pace for 10min - 20 min to begin with. Do this for a few days. Soon you will see yourself wanting to go longer.
- Eat a healthy diet. Good nutrition is vital to your health and well being. Don't rely on supplements for your vitamins and minerals.
The N.E.W.S.T.A.R.T. Program is an informative natural way to achieve a healthy lifestyle.
Nutrition, Exercise, Water, Sunshine, Temperance, Air, Rest, Trust in a Divine Power.
Go to NEWSTART.COM for more information.